Intra-Company Transferee


(amended in July, 2012)

Visa Status called “Intra-Company Transferee (企業内転勤 Kigyo-nai tenkin)” is applicable to an employee sending from the head office, the branch or other related office outside Japan to the related office in Japan for a limited period.

Types of job allowed under Intra-Company Transferee visa is limited – the job/duties must be related to the activities which is allowed under Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/Int’l Services (referred to as “Humanities”) visa status.

Examples of Occupation and Transfer

Occupations applied to “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/Int’l Services” visa status.

The following examples are possible transfer applicable to Intra-Company Transferee visa;

  • transfer within the same company (head office to branch, branch to branch)
  • transfer between parent company and subsidiary company.
  • transfer between subsidiary.
  • transfer between subsidiary and sub-subsidiary.
  • transfer between sub-subsidiary.
  • transfer between parent company and sub-subsidiary.
  • transfer between parent/subsidiary company and affiliated/associated company (*)

* Please ask us for further details and provide the information of the shareholders (ratio of shares) and the company structure of sending company and accepting company.


Regardless of which visa status you will apply for, you need to satisfy the criteria first.
>> BASIC CRITERIA of visa status


  • The applicant has been working at the sending company for at least 1 year continuously right before the COE application.
  • Type of job of the applicant before and after sending to Japan must be applicable to the job allowed under Engineer/Humanities visa status.


  • The applicant is supposed to be paid equal to or more than that of Japanese who are engaged in the same field during your period of stay in Japan (more than 200,000 JPY or equivalent amount monthly approximately).
  • The period of transfer to Japan must be limited (but extendable by applying for Extension of Period of Stay).


  • Capital relationship must be found between accepting organization/company in Japan and sending company and the relationship must be proved by the documents (e.g. shareholders’ list, certificate of company registration issued by the authorities etc.)
  • Your visa application must be sponsored by an organization/company who is willing to hire you in Japan to engage in the activities applicable to the visa.
  • Host organization/company must be recognized that they are managing their business properly, stably and continually.
  • The physical office space which you engage in working at must be found in Japan and the business must be operated at the office space.

Possibility of HSP

If you fulfill the requirements above as well as you are applicable to Highly Skilled Professional (HSP), you may have a preferential Immigration treatment.
>> Jump to Highly Skilled Professional


In case you are currently residing outside Japan yet or you are staying in Japan as a temporary visitor:
>> COE Application

In case you have been in Japan under specific status and holding Residence Card already:
>> Change of Visa Status


You are required to prepare documents to certify your eligibility for the visa status.

Necessary documents are varied depending on the situation of each applicant and the host organization/company, however, it shall be as follows:

(1) Evidence for the applicant’s experience and qualifications:

  • Resume, C/V.
  • Documents to certify your occupation, type of work/job and salary for the past 1 year. (e.g. Certificate of Employment, Confirmation Letter etc. issued and signed by the sending company.
  • Certificate of Degree (if any)

(2) Evidence for the applicant’s job in Japan and the transfer to Japan:

  • Document to prove the transfer/relocation (e.g. Letter of Appointment etc. issued and signed by the sending company).
  • Document to prove your occupation, type of work/job and monthly salary for the job in Japan (e.g. Employment Agreement etc. issued and signed by sending/accepting company).

(3) Evidence regarding the employer:

  • Company Brochure or Leaflet.
  • Company Overview
  • Certificate of Company Registration (Toukibo Touhon, Toukijikou Shoumeisho).
  • Documents to certify the relation between sending company outside Japan and accepting company in Japan.
  • Financial Statement for the last fiscal year regarding the accepting company in Japan.
  • In case of new company: Business Plan for 1-year, Notification of the establishment of salary payment office, Payment slip for Withholding Tax (for the past 3 months before the application) or Application for Payment of Withholding Income Tax on a Semiannual.


  • All the documents written in foreign languages need to attach Japanese translation.
  • Additional documents may be required during the screening at the Immigration Office after submitting the application.
  • Some documents may be exempted in case your visa sponsor is classified under categories as follows: 1) listed company, 2) the total amount of annual withholding tax on the latest “Records for Salary Payment and Withholding Tax” counts more than 10 million JPY, 3) your visa sponsor can submit a copy of the latest “Records for Salary Payment and Withholding Tax”.
  • Any certificate of Japanese authorities (Tax/Income Certificate, Certificate of Residence, Certificate of Company Register etc.) has to be the one issued within 3 months before the date of application.


Each visa status has the expiration date – you can stay in Japan under the visa status during the specific period stated on Residence Card issued by Immigration Office.

Period of stay shall be decided by Immigration Office depends on the applicant’s circumstance, and it shall be either of 5 years, 3 years, 1 year or 3 months. The period of stay is granted by the Immigration Office based on each case and situation.

In case you wish to extend the period of stay granted, you may apply for Extension of Period of Stay before the expiry date.

In case you would like to travel outside Japan temporarily under the visa status.
>> Re-Entry Permit

eyecatch2 お問い合わせページへ