Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services

(amended in July, 2019)

Visa Status called “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services (技術/人文知識/国際業務 Gijutsu/Jinbun-chishiki/Kokusai-gyoumu)” (hereafter referred to as “Engineer/Humanities“) is applied to those who engage in activity which requires skills and knowledge in the field of natural science, social science and humanities or activity which requires thought and sense based on culture and language of foreign countries during their period of stay in Japan.

Examples of Occupation

Software Engineer | System Engineer | Computer Programmer | Game Programmer | Project Manager in the field of IT, software, computer, technology, science, architecture, bio technology, construction, automobile and so on | Development Engineer | Automobile Engineer

Specialist in Humanities:
Accounting | Economic analyst | Financial analyst | HR (Human Resources) or Personnel management | Legal business | Trading business | Store Management, Inventory Management

International Services:
Teacher and instructor of foreign language | Translator | Interpreter | PR (Public Relations) | Fashion or interior design | Product development | Overseas transactions | Copywriting

Occupation NOT applicable to Engineer/Humanities visa status.

Most of so called “Blue collar job” and “Manual Labor” is not applicable to Engineer/Humanities visa status, for example;
Waiter, Waitress and Bartender | Cashier at a store, supermarket and restaurant etc. | Drivers | Workers assembling, sorting and/or packaging parts and products | Blue-collar workers at construction/plant sites (on-site construction workers and/or electrical workers etc. whose job mission doesn’t include management of the schedule, operation, staffing etc., estimation of the cost, designing/planning of installment of electrical facilities etc.)

Possibility of other visa status

Highly Skilled Professional (HSP):
in case you satisfy the requirements for Engineer/Humanities visa status as well as you are applicable to HSP, you should apply for HSP to benefit by a preferential Immigration treatment.

Intra-company Transferee:
in case your situation is applicable to Intra-company Transferee visa status, you need to apply for it instead of Engineer/Humanities visa status.

Legal/Accounting Services:
in case you intend to engage in working in Japan as a qualified/licensed professionals such as lawyer, attorney, solicitor, barrister, judicial scrivener, land and house investigator, chartered/public accountant, tax accountant, labor and social security attorney, patent attorney, maritime procedure agent, administrative scrivener(弁護士、司法書士、土地家屋調査士、外国法事務弁護士、公認会計士、外国公認会計士、税理士、社会保険労務士、弁理士、海事代理士、行政書士)

If you wish to engage in working as a freelance in Japan

If your academic backgound or/and work career are applicable to Engineer/Humanities visa status and you wish to engage in the activity as a freelance, please refer to the following page:
>> Wishing to work as a freelance in Japan


Regardless of which visa status you will apply for, you need to satisfy the criteria first.
>> BASIC CRITERIA of visa status


You have to be applicable to either one of (A) – (C) below.
IMPORTANT: since the educational system is different in each countries, we would recommend to confirm whether your educational background satisfies the requirement or not if you don’t have a Bachelors (“License” in France) degree or more.

(A) In case you intended to engage in the activity which requires the knowledge and skills in the field of Social Science, Natural Science or Humanities, you have to fall under EITHER of them below:

  • You have finished course of study which relates to your intended activity/work in Japan and graduate from university or college (obtaining Bachelor, License or Associate degree or more) specializing in the field of Social Science, Natural Science or Humanities.
    * NOTE: The relevant education includes in case that you hold A, B or C level on DOEACC (Department of Electronics Accreditation of Computer Courses) in India.
  • You have finished course of study which relates to your intended activity/work in Japan and graduate from Senshu-gakkou in Japan (obtaining Senmon-shi degree) specializing in the field of Social Science, Natural Science or Humanities.
  • You have more than 10 years experience (including both work and educational experience) in the field of Social Science, Natural Science or Humanities which relates to your intended activity/work in Japan.
(B) In case that you are going to engage in the activity which requires skills and knowledge regarding information processing but you don’t satisfy (A) above, you need to have passed in the examination on information processing which is designated by the Minister of Justice in public notice or obtain qualification which is equivalent to it.
>> Jump to the list of qualifications on the webpage of Ministry of Justice (Japanese only)
(C) In case you are wishing to work in the field of international services which require thought and sense based on culture and language of foreign countries, you must fall under BOTH of 1 and 2 below:

  1. You are going to engage in the activity which are related to the following occupation; Teacher and Instructor of foreign language, Translator, Interpreter, PR (Public Relations), Fashion or Interior design, Product development, Overseas transactions, and Copywriting.
  2. You have working experience or educational background which falls under EITHER of (i) – (iii) below;
    (i) you have 3 years or more of working experience in the field of international services and related field business/job.
    (ii) you have finished necessary courses/classes related to your intended job in Japan and graduated the university or college (obtaining Bachelor, License or Associate degree or more).
    (iii) you have finished the course of vocational/special school (Senshu-Gakkou) in Japan and obtain Senmon-shi degree in the related field for your intended job in Japan.

* NOTE: “foreign language” must be the applicant’s mother language or the language you have a qualification to teach.
* NOTE: you don’t need to satisfy the requirement of (i) – (iii) in case you are a university/college graduate (obtaining Bachelor, License or Associate degree or more) and will engage in working as a language teacher/instructor or translator/interpreter of foreign language.
* NOTE: If you will engage in working as a teacher/instructor or translator/interpreter of language which is not your mother language, generally, it is considered that you should satisfy (A) above.

Reference regarding Field of Study

Natural science” is referred as the following field:
Mathematical Sciences|Physical Sciences|Chemistry|Biological Science|Anthropology|Geoscience|Geography|Geophysics|Educational Science|Statistics|Informatics|Nuclear Science|Engineering Physics|Applied Physics|Mechanical Engineering|Electrical Engineering|Electronics|Information Engineering/Computer Science|Civil Engineering|Architecture|Metallurgical Engineering|Applied Chemistry|Resource Development Engineering|Naval Architecture|Measurement Control Engineering|Chemical Engineering|Aerospace Engineering|Nuclear Engineering|Industrial Engineering|Agriculture|Agricultural Chemistry|Forestry|Fisheries Science|Agricultural Economics|Agricultural Engineering|Animal Science|Veterinary Medicine|Silk Reeling|Domestic Science|Regional Agriculture|General Agricultural Science|Physiological Science|Pathological Science|Sociomedical|Dentistry|Pharmaceutical Science

Social science” and “Humanities” is referred as the following field:
Languages|Literature|Philosophy|Pedagogics|Psychology|Sociology|History|Area studies|Basic law|Public law| International relations|Civil law|Criminal law Social law|Political science|Economic theory|Economic policy|International economics|Economic history|Science of public finance|Commercial science|Business administration|Accounting|Economic statistics


You are supposed to be paid equal to or more than that of Japanese nationals who are engaged in the same field (more than 200,000 JPY monthly regularly) for your job in Japan. Also, the employment contract/agreement between you and the employer should be made on a long-term basis.


  • Your visa application must be sponsored by the specific entity/organization/company who is willing to hire you in Japan to engage in the activities applicable to the visa.

  • Your visa sponsor (host organization/company) must be recognized that they are managing their business properly, stably and continually. If your visa sponsor is a newly established entity, 1-year business plan will be required to prove the business stability.
  • The physical office space which you engage in working at must be found in Japan and the business must be operated at the office space.


In case you are currently residing outside Japan yet or you are staying in Japan as a temporary visitor:
>> COE Application

In case you have been in Japan under specific status and holding Residence Card already:
>> Change of Visa Status


You are required to prepare documents which certify that the contents of the application are true and correct. Necessary documents are varied depending on the situation of each applicant and the host organization/company, however, it shall be as follows:

(1) Evidence regarding the applicant’s experience and qualifications:

  • Resume, C/V.
  • Documents which certify your educational background: e.g. University Diploma, Certificate of Graduate.
  • Documents which certify your work experience: e.g. Certificate of Employment issued by ex-employer.
  • Documents which certify your qualifications: e.g. JLPT Certificate.

(2) Evidence for the applicant’s job in Japan and the terms and condition:

  • Document to prove your occupation, type of work/job and monthly salary for the job in Japan (e.g. Employment Agreement etc. issued and signed by the employer).

(3) Evidence regarding the employer:

  • Company Brochure or Leaflet.
  • Certificate of Company Registration (Toukijikou Shoumeisho).
  • Financial Statement as of the last fiscal year end.
  • In case of newly established company which cannot provide the financial statement for the last fiscal year: Business Plan for 1-year, Notification of the establishment of salary payment office, Payment slip for Withholding Tax (for the past 3 months before the application) or Application for Payment of Withholding Income Tax on a Semi-annual.
  • Records for Salary Payment and Withholding Tax for the last year (Houtei-chosho-goukei-hyo).


  • All the documents written in foreign languages need to attach Japanese translation.
  • Additional documents may be required during the screening at the Immigration Office after submitting the application.
  • Some documents may be exempted in case your visa sponsor is classified under categories as follows: 1) listed company, 2) the total amount of annual withholding tax on the latest “Records for Salary Payment and Withholding Tax” counts more than 10 million JPY, 3) your visa sponsor can submit a copy of the latest “Records for Salary Payment and Withholding Tax”.
  • Any certificate of Japanese authorities (Tax/Income Certificate, Certificate of Residence, Certificate of Company Register etc.) has to be the one issued within 3 months before the date of application.


Each visa status has the expiration date – you can stay in Japan under the visa status during the specific period stated on Residence Card issued by Immigration Office.

Period of stay shall be decided by Immigration Office depends on the applicant’s circumstance, and it shall be either of 5 years, 3 years, 1 year or 3 months. The period of stay is granted by the Immigration Office based on each case and situation.

In case you wish to extend the period of stay granted, you may apply for Extension of Period of Stay before the expiry date.

In case you would like to travel outside Japan temporarily under the visa status.
>> Re-Entry Permit

eyecatch2 お問い合わせページへ