Business Manager

Before you look through this page, be sure to check Overview of Japanese Immigration System page in order to learn the basic information for visa application. >> Overview of Japanese Immigration System


Status of Residence called "Business Manager (経営・管理 Keiei-Kanri)" (hereafter referred to as "Business Manager") is applied to a representative director, business owner and manager who engage in managing and organizing the business activities in Japan.

Examples of Occupation

  • CEO or Representative Director who engage in the activity in the management of the company owned by himself/herself in Japan.
  • CEO/Representative Director, COO, CFO, CTO or any directors who engage in execution, determination or audit of the management of the company in Japan.
  • Factory manager, manager, branch office representative and others who engage in operating the factory and the business in Japan.

You may consider other visa status such as "Intra-Company Transferee" or "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities" depending on the situation.

In order to apply for "Business Manager" visa status, you must satisfy all the criteria and requirements listed on Criteria and Requirements. After that, you need to confirm whether you may satisfy the requirement for the visa status. >> Requirements for "Business Manager" visa status.

Then, you should prepare necessary documents for the application in order to certify your qualifications for the visa status. The documents could be different depending on your situation and the host organization/company, however, you may refer to the following: >> Necessary Documents.

Considering your eligibility for the visa status in all aspects, Immigration Office will grant you Business Manager visa status to reside and work in Japan with an authorized period of stay. >> Period of Stay

Necessary Procedures at Immigration Office

In case you are outside Japan yet or you are staying in Japan as a temporary visitor, you must take a step called "Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Application" first.

>> Types of Procedures: Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Application

In case you already have been in Japan under other type of visa status, you need to take a step called "Change of Status of Residence".

>> Types of Procedures: Change of Status of Residence

Requirements for "Business Manager" visa status

The main criteria of the application for Business Manager visa is as follows:

  1. You will engage in the activity to manage and operate the business in Japan as a business manager.
  2. The business of the company shall be recognized its stability and continuity: in case you are considering this visa status to start your business/company in Japan, you need to invest your own money, more than 5 million yen, into the new company as the initial capital, otherwise you need to hire 2 employee (Japanese nationals or foreign nationals with relevant visa status) at least.
  3. The office space (physical office) for the business shall be found in Japan. Virtual office is not applicable.
  4. Business Plan should be specific, reasonable, and feasible.
  5. You must earn income regularly in order to live by yourself during the stay in Japan. You are supposed to be paid equal to or more than that of Japanese who are engaged in the same field during your period of stay in Japan (considered as at least 180,000JPY monthly).
  6. [in case of applying as an employed manager] You must have 3 years experience (including the period of enrolling in graduate school) of the business management.

Immigration Office judges your eligibility for the Business Manager visa comprehensively – considering not only by the amount of your investment into the company, but also by the business stability and credibility, balance of predictable profit and loss, amount of employee, types of business and so on.

If you intend to be a self employed business manager by setting up a company in Japan, please refer to CASE STUDY: Start a business in Japan as self-employed business manager

If you fulfill the requirements above as well as you are applicable to Highly Skilled Professionals, you might want to apply for the Highly Skilled Professionals visa status which you can receive a preferential Immigration treatment. (>> Go to Highly Skilled Professionals.)

Necessary Documents

You are required to prepare documents which certify that the contents of the application are true and correct. Necessary documents are varied depending on the situation of each applicant and the host organization/company. However, it shall be as follows:

(1) Evidence regarding the applicant’s activity and position in Japan and previous experience of the business manager.

  • Resume, C/V.
  • Documents to certify the applicant’s position and annual (or monthly) salary: e.g. Minutes of Shareholders’ Meeting etc.
  • [in case of being hired as a manager] Employment Contract and Documents to certify that the applicant has 3 years experience of the business management.

(2) Evidence regarding the business and size of business of the company.

  • Company Brochure, Leaflet or website.
  • Certificate of Company Registration (Toukijikou Shoumeisho).
  • [in case of proceeding the establishment of the new company] Articles of Incorporation (Teikan) etc.
  • Business Plan.
  • Income and Expenditure Plan.
  • Financial Statement for the latest fiscal year-end (if any).
  • Notification of the establishment of salary payment office filed to Tax Office.
  • Payment slip for Withholding Tax (for the past 3 months) or Application for Payment of Withholding Income Tax on a Semiannual filed to Tax Office.

(3) Evidence regarding the business entity.

  • Rent Contract or Certificate of Real Estate Registration etc.
  • [in case of self-employed business manager starting new company] Photos of the nameplate, mailbox, and others to certify the existence of the office space.
  • All the documents written in foreign languages need to attach Japanese translation.
  • Additional documents may be required during the screening at Immigration Office.
  • Some documents may be omitted in case the host organization is classified under categories as follows: 1) listed company, 2) the total amount of annual withholding tax on the latest "Withholding Records and Payment Records" counts more than 15 million JPY, 3) the host organization which can submit a copy of the latest "Withholding Records and Payment Records".
  • Any certificate has to be issued within 3 months before the date of application.

(amended in April, 2015)

Period of Stay

Each visa status has the expiration date – you can stay in Japan with the visa during the specific period stated on Residence Card issued by Immigration Office. Period of stay shall be decided by Immigration Office depends on the applicant’s circumstance, and it shall be either of 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 4 months, or 3 months.

If you intend to stay in Japan under the same visa status after the expiration date, you may apply for "Extension of Period of Stay" 2 months before the expiration date. >> How to Apply fo "Extension of Period of Stay"

If you travel outside Japan during the period of stay and reenter Japan, you need to obtain Special Re-entry Permission or Re-entry Permission depending on how long you will stay outside Japan. >> Check out Special Re-entry Permit or Re-entry Permit

eyecatch 面談相談は初回無料
eyecatch2 お問い合わせページへ