Overview of Visa Status (Status of Residence)

First, you must be recognized to be eligible for one of visa status (Status of Residence) and satisfy the Criteria and requirements if you are planning to stay long-term or work in Japan. >> Introduction: Overview of Visa and Immigration in Japan

You must consider;

  • Find your Status of Residence: What activity would you like to engage in during your stay in Japan in the list of visa status below? You cannot apply for the visa of Japan if you don’t find your objectives in Japan in this list.
  • Confirm the requirement for the visa status: Do your situation as well as the host person/organization/company satisfy the visa requirement?

These status can be divided mainly into 2 categories according to the activity.

(A) Activity Based Status
(B) Family-Related Status and Permanent Residence

(Amended on April 15th, 2015)

(A) Activity Based Status

Status in this category is for those who come to Japan for work, business, study, tour, or accompanying as a dependent spouse or child.

(a) Working visa: status which you are allowed to work.
Types of status Activity and Example of Occupation Period of Stay
Diplomat and officer of foreign Embassy, Consulate, Government, and their family.

* The application must be filed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

During mission
Highly Skilled Professional
Person who is qualified as Highly Skilled Professional 5 years
Those who engage in research or/and education at university or other related organization equivalent to university. e.g. Professor 5years
Professional in the field of art, music and other artistic activities; painter, musician, composer, photographer, writer, songwriter.
Religious Activities
Missionnary of foreign religious organization
Journalists, cameramen, or photographers who belong to media overseas including freelancer.
Business Manager
Business manager who engage in the management.
Legal / Accounting Services
Attorneys, certified accountants or other legal specialists.
Medical Services
Doctors, dentists or nurses those who engage in the field of medical services.
Researchers who belong to public or private organizations.
Teacher of elementary school, junior high school, high school and technical/special school. (Language school teacher falls under "Specialist in Humanities / International Services ", not "Instructor".)
Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / Int'l Services
Those who engage in the field of science, engineering, IT, arhitecture; engineer, programmer and project manager, law, economics, sociology, humanities or/and international and intercultural profession; foreign language teachers, interpreter/translator, consultant/supervisor in the field of international trade, designer/planner in the field of interior/exterior and fashion.
Skilled Labor
Those who engage in skilled profession such as cook of foreign cuisine, carpenter of foreign architecture, chaser of jewelry, sommelier, athletic/sports trainer, pilot.
Intra-Company Transferee
Expats of foreign organizations and companies who are going to work at their subsidiary, branch, or representative office in Japan

* Should be applicable to the status of "Engineer" or "Spercialist in Humanities / International Services".

Actors/Actresses, Performers, singers, dancers, professional athletes etc. 3years
Technical Intern Training
Technical intern trainee 1 year
6 months


(b) Non-working visa: status which you are not allowed to work without a permission called "Shikaku-gai Katsudou Kyoka (*)".
  • (*) You cannot apply for the permission under "Short-term (temporary visitor)" visa.
  • (*) "Shikakugai-katsudou Kyoka" means "Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under The Status of Residence Previously Granted" in English. You are allowed to work certain period of time under this permission.
Types of status Activity and Example of Occupation Period of Stay
Cultural Activities
Researchers of Japanese Culture, trainees of traditional Japanese martial arts or sports. 3year, 1year, 6months, 3months
Spouse and children of people who already reside in Japan under certain Status of Residence. 5years, 4years and 3months, 4years, 3years and 3months, 3years, 2years and 3months, 2years, 1year and 3months, 1year, 6months, 3months
University students, High School students, Junior High School students, Elementary School students, students at Japanese language school and students at other educational institute. 4years and 3months, 4years, 3years and 3months, 3years, 2years and 3months, 2year, 1year, 1year and 3months, 6months, 3months
Technical trainees who belong to public or private organization in Japan. 1year, 6months, 3months
Temporary Visitor
Temporary visitors visiting families and relatives in Japan or participating in a business meeting or a conference. 90days, 30day, 15days


(c) Status you can work depending on your situation.
Types of status Activity and Example of Occupation Period of Stay
Designated Activities
Working Holiday, Internship with salary, trainees, amateurs at sports, housekeepers of person who holds other Status of Residence, etc. 5years, 3years, 1year, 6months, 3months or within the period that the Minister of Justice allows.

Status in this category is for those who are eligible for Permanent Residence, have relatives of Japanese or Permanent Residence, or other family-related status. You are allowed to engage in all types of work under these types of status.

Types of status Activity and Example of Occupation Period of Stay
Permanent Resident
Those who are allowed by the Minister of Justice. Indefinite
Spouse or Child of Japanese Nationals
Spouse of Japanese, or those who was born as a child of Japanese or adopted by Japanese under the provision of Article 807-2 of the Civil Code. 5years,
Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident
Spouse of Permanent Residence or Special Permanent Residence. Child of Permanent Residence who was born in Japan and continues to live in Japan after that.
Long-term Resident
Those who are allowed to reside in Japan for a certain period of stay by the Minister of Justice because of considering specific reason. (e.g. Second and third generation of Japanese. Those who devoced with or were separated by death of Japanese, Permanent Residence, or Special Permanent Residence. ) 5years,
or period which the Minister of Justice allows

eyecatch 面談相談は初回無料
eyecatch2 お問い合わせページへ